Observing National Tequila Day on July 24th

Celebrating National Tequila Day on July 24

On July 24th, National Tequila Day honors the popular spirit made from the blue agave plant. The quality of tequila can be influenced by the percentage of blue agave used, with a minimum of 51% required. While some may use a sugar cane substitute for the remaining 49%, premium tequilas are often crafted with 100% blue agave, reducing the chances of a hangover.

Blue Agave is in high demand in Mexico, especially in Jalisco, where tequila is believed to have originated. While tequila production is not restricted to this area, National Tequila Day was officially declared by the Mexican government in 2018. Tequila can be savored straight or in popular cocktails like the margarita, frozen margarita, paloma, Mexican Mule, and tequila sunrise. Blanco tequila, aged for the shortest duration, is considered the most pure form, but taste can differ based on aging techniques and location.

  • Don Julio can be found in 29 states, such as Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Texas, as well as New Mexico, Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington, and many others.
  • Casamigos can be found in 17 states, such as Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Missouri, Louisiana, and Michigan.
  • Patronage is practiced in two states: Ohio and Wyoming.
  • Jose Cuervo is exclusively sold in Alaska.

Don Julio Tequila is well-liked.

Established in 1942 by Don Julio González-Frausto Estrada in Jalisco, Mexico, Don Julio has become the preferred tequila brand in Arizona and various states across the U.S. Despite not being a celebrity, Don Julio was originally a distiller. The brand offers six different labels, including the renowned “1942.” Meanwhile, Patron, founded by billionaire philanthropist John Paul DeJoria in 1989, holds the top spot in Ohio and Wyoming. Jose Cuervo, famously associated with the hit song “Jose Cuervo” by country singer Shelly West, is the leading tequila in Alaska. As of 2020, the best-selling tequilas are Jose Cuervo, Patron, Sauza, 1800, and Don Julio.

Yengols.com conducted a study using data from Google Trends and Vinepair.com to analyze the top tequila brands of the year. By cross-referencing Vinepair.com’s list with Google Trends data on the most searched brands in each state, the study found that four brands were the most searched in at least one state over the past 90 days.

Tequila causes you to burst into song.

Throughout the years, tequila has been honored in music by various artists such as Jimmy Buffett, The Eagles, Miranda Lambert, and Dan + Shay. Buffett has even created his own tequila brand, Margarita Spirits. It is evident that tequila has a significant significance in the hearts of country music artists.

Famous figures such as Eva Longoria, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Kendall Jenner, and Rita Ora have entered the tequila business with their own brands, including Casa Del Sol, Teremana, 818, and Prospero. Additionally, well-known names like Nick Jonas, John Varvatos, Adam Levine, Behati Prinsloo, Michael Jordan, and The Chainsmokers have also launched tequila brands such as Villa One, Calirosa, Cincoro, and Jaja.

According to BetArizona, Casamigos, the celebrity tequila founded by George Clooney and Rande Gerber, is the top pick for drinkers, claiming the title of the most popular tequila in 17 states. The northeast region shows particularly strong support for the brand.



Jenkins Amy
Jenkins Amy
Journalist / Reporter

Amy Jenkins, a seasoned journalist, focuses on covering the Arizona sports betting industry for yengols.com. Before delving into U.S. sports betting, she honed her skills at the Philadelphia Daily News, TV Guide, and the Philadelphia Inquirer. Jenkins also played a key role as a founding editor of bettorsinsider.com.

Cited by major news organizations like: